|Title||Christmas Day, 1916, Roster of 160th Bruce Battalion Canadian Infantry Expeditionary Force|
|Dates of Creation||1916|
Booklet with cover page "Christmas Day, 1916". It includes roster of 160th Bruce Battalion Canadian Infantry Expeditionary Force, Christmas dinner menu and order of service for entertainment programme at Bramshott Camp, Gants, England December 25, 1916.
Also contains a brief historical sketch of the 160th Bruce Battalion on the final two pages under the heading "Hail! Hail! The Gang's All Here"
[Note: The names in the Roster were not entered in the People field. The names in the People field were taken from p. 1 "Officers" and p. 9 "Entertainment".]
The 160th Overseas Bruce Battalion began recruitment by Colonel Weir in Bruce County in December 1915. Headquarters were established in the Armouries, Walkerton, and recruiting stations were formed in the following towns: "A" Company - Walkerton, Cargill, Paisley, Port Elgin, and Southampton. "B" Company - Chesley, Tara, Hepworth and Teeswater. "C" Company - Wiarton, Lion's Head, Tobermory, Cape Croker and Saugeen Indian Reserves.
On May 3, 1916, the Battalion, at 1260 men, mobilized in Walkerton. On June 4, 1916, the Bruce Battalion was presented with its Regimental Colours in Chesley, Ontario. On June 21, 1916, the Battalion travelled to London, Grosvenor Camp, where it underwent training for 3 months. Upon the men's return from harvest furlough during the months of August and September, the Battalion was moved to Carling's Heights'.
On October 14, 1916, the Battalion entrained in two special trains which conveyed the troops to Halifax. They then sailed aboard the H.M.T. Metagama which arrived in Liverpool harbour on October 27, 1916.
On November 6, 1916, the Battalion left Witley Camp and took up quarters in Bramshott Camp where they spent the day training. Christmas Day in Bramshott, a special dinner was provided, followed by a musical programme. Every effort was made and nothing was spared to make the event a success.
On February 17, 1916, the Battalion returned to Witley and was placed in the 13th Brigade of the 5th Canadian Division, where it held its identity as a unit until the demobilization of the Division. Extensive advanced training was carried on here for a year.
On February 13, 1918, orders were received for the 160th Battalion to furnish drafts of 100 men each to proceed to the 1st Battalion and the 2nd Canadian Pioneer Battalion, the remainder of the Battalion to be absorbed into the 4th Canadian Reserve Battalion, then stationed at Bramshott. On February 21, further orders were received for a draft of 100 men to proceed to the 107th Canadian Pioneer Battalion. On February 23, 1918, the Battalion, less the three drafts and rear details, proceeded to Bramshott to the 4th Reserve Battalion.
Special Battalion cap and collar badges were secured in the early stages of the organization of the Battalion, the cap badge being a large Maple Leaf with crown and the words "Bruce Canada-Overseas" and the figures "160" inserted. The collar badge, was taken as the Battalion crest, which has the Maple Leaf, crown, thistle (for Bruce County) and the words "Bruce-Overseas Battalion-Canada" and "Amo Patrai" (the 32nd Regiment motto) and "160".
(Source: "Bruce in Khaki: A History of the Bruce Battalion")
|Physical Description||16 p. ; 26 x 18.5 cm. -- bound with blue and yellow ribbon|
160th Bruce Battalion
First World War
Aiken, Milton John
Bennett, Frederick James
Johnston, Peter Lennox
McCallum, Dugald David
Moffat, Andrew McLean
Todd, Allan P.
Veitch, Ambert Hastie
Whitehead, Roy Beverley
160th Bruce Battalion
|Related Units of Description||There are multiple original copies of this item in the collection, under various accessions.|
|Level of Description||Item|