|Title||Diploma : R.J. Cameron|
|Dates of Creation||October 2, 1896|
|Creator||Kinloss Agricultural Society|
This diploma was awarded to R.J. Cameron [Roderick John Cameron] of Lucknow for "Pump" on October 2, 1896 by the Kinloss Branch Agricultural Society. The diploma is illustrated with pictures of horses, dogs, people and coat of arms. The diploma is signed by R.H. McKenzie, President, and the Secretary [name illegible.]
Diploma was printed by Alexander & Cable Co. Ltd., Toronto.
The Kinloss Agricultural Society was organized in 1863. Events were held on Market Square, now the Lucknow Bowling Green, with the exhibits shown in the Temperance Hall across the street on the east side of Havelock Street.
In 1878, the Society leased lots on the northeast side of Lucknow from James Somerville for a ten-year period, with Mr. Somerville to erect a hall, livestock sheds and fences. The park and race track were purchased in 1898. In 1906, it was decided that the location was not central enough. Five acres were bought and in conjunction with the Caledonian Society, the Agricultural Society held the fair in the south-west corner of the village since then.
Source: Kinloss Township Historians. "Kith and Kin of Kinloss." Vol. 2, p. 56
|Physical Description||46 x 61.5 cm|
Cameron, Roderick John
|Businesses and Organizations||Kinloss Agricultural Society|
|Related items within BCM&CC Collection||Show Related Records...|
|Level of Description||Item|