|Item ID#||HB Orchestra fonds|
|Title||Harold Button's Orchestra fonds|
|Object Name||Archival Fonds|
|Dates of Creation||1936 - 1972|
The fonds reflects the musical career of Harold Button and the music played by his Orchestra. The fonds consists primarily of sheet music, music books, musical arrangements and manuscripts used by Harold Button and his Orchestra. Also included in the fonds are financial records, photographs of Harold Button with orchestras and Appleford Paper Products, a logo stencil and two dictation booklets belonging to Harold's daughter, Gladys Button.
Series 1 Financial records
Series 2 Musical arrangements and manuscripts
Series 3 Sheet music
Series 4 Music books and arrangements
Series 5 Photographs
Series 6 Gladys Button records
Series 7 Ephemera
|Finding Aid and Transcription Links||Harold Button's Orchestra fonds finding aid / music inventory|
Harold Robert Button was born on September 15, 1916 in Kinloss Township, Bruce County, Ontario, on the north-west edge of the Village of Lucknow. He was the eldest son of Robert James Button and Mary Alberta "Bertie" (Howe) Button. He was a farmer for a short time, then a factory equipment supervisor, as a machinist and tool-and-dye maker, in the maintenance departments at Pratt and Whitney and Appleford Paper Products in the Dundas-Hamilton area.
As a young man, Harold played his E-flat alto saxophone at over 400 engagements with local bands from 1936-1940. His records show him playing at Amberley, Belgrave, Dungannon, Formosa, Goderich, Holyrood, Inverhuron, Kincardine, Kingsbridge, Kintail, Lochalsh, Lucknow, Paisley, Paramount, Port Elgin, Ripley, Rockford, Teeswater, Underwood, Walkerton,Wingham, and other places, mostly on Friday and Saturday nights, in addition to benefits, fairs and barn dances.
When he moved to Dundas after 1940, he played locally at Dundas Music Hall and other venues, with Eph Slote's Orchestra from 1943 to 1946, then with Howard Miellers' Orchestra from 1946 to November 1948, when he formed Harold Button's Orchestra in Dundas, Ontario.
The Orchestra was initially four pieces and subsequently expanded to seven pieces. Harold Button wrote many arrangements for his band, which played at Ancaster, Ontario and surrounding area until 1967. After retiring, Harold lived in Kincardine until he passed away on July 3, 1999.
|Collection||Harold Button's Orchestra fonds|
41.5 cm of textual records
|Restrictions on Use||Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any permissible use rests exclusively with the user.|
|Related Units of Description||The Bruce County Museum and Cultural Centre holds a number of artefacts previously owned by Harold Button including musical instruments, speaker, amplifier and band stands.|
|Related items within BCM&CC Collection||Show Related Records...|
|Level of Description||Fonds||Child Records||
HB Orchestra series 1
HB Orchestra series 2
HB Orchestra series 3
HB Orchestra series 4
HB Orchestra series 5
HB Orchestra series 6
HB Orchestra series 7